Sunday, June 29, 2008

Making Cheese!!!

POST OVER-LOAD HERE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>





Yes, I know.... I don't post in forever.. and then I post a TON in one day.... what can I say?? I just have soooo much that needs to be said today! :)



@--->->---------

For now.. this additional post is about my current baking expedition.... MAKING CHEESE...






Today, I began with the most basic, simple type.... just a white spreadable cheese... Delicious!!




Reciepe::


2 QT Raw Whole milk
Lemon Juice
2 C Buttermilk (cultured)


Salt
Pepper
Olive Oil
Yummy Crackers (whole wheat or small toast thingys, etc)

Cheese Cloth
Heavy bottom pan
Liquid Therometer
Collander
Wooden Stirrer
Cute Ramekins ( like 5)
big strainer
suran wrap



Heat Milk to 175 slowly.... at 175 turn off heat, stir in buttermilk and 6 tsp lemon juice (may need more) slowly stir to seperate curd from whey. Let sit 5 min... gently spoon in collander lined with 4 layers of cheese cloth with a big spoon strainer. Let sit 10 min. Gently gather up, remove colander, and twist the cheese cloth gently, and hang the cheese cloth from wooden spon over now empty pot for 20 min.



Empty cheese on surface and cut in salt (to taste). Spoon cheese into little cute ramekins and press suran wrap onto top, directly touching cheese. Let sit in fridge until let, at least an hour. I'm guessing overnight best.... Serve with yummy crackers and with fresh pepper grated on top with a little bit of olive oil drizzeled on top.

This cheese is good for replacement of creme cheese or ricotta.....

See attachment to cooking guys blog to watch a video of him making it... though you will need to look around a bit to find it!!!

5 comments:

the Virgins said...

yum sounds good! I might have to use this recipe if I can figure it out..it sounds a bit confusing lol you should post more (like some desserts) :)

moody foodie said...

The cheese was yummy!

Deborah Athay said...

I'll bring it into work to share :)

Carrie said...

I'm not seeing anything here about you bringing some over to my house to share...what kind of sister are you?!!! Where's the love?

Deborah Athay said...

I could drop some off on thursday morning as I go to the airport?

My Blog List