Tuesday, June 1, 2010


I get woken up at 1:30
by the chicken’s squawking .. it’s like… I’m dying squawking.
so
I grab my new flashlight and I go investigate it.. and there’s totally a raccoon in the cage.
It starts running around … trying to get out … and I can see the chickens running around
some of them have bloody necks…. or their missing feathers on their body
and one is on the ground laying... and just twisting (later I discover her head is stuck under the fence...she’s fine)
so I’m like… hmm….. I need a weapon and shoes…. so I go grab a shovel
and I go to put on my croc boots.. their outside because I’ve been using them in the coop already
then I start freaking out because I realize HOW STUPID it is to put on shoes/boots that have been outside for days because there could be a spider inside
I start like...
Jumping around trying to get the shoes off and I look inside them with the flashlight- no spiders
Then I’m like “these are Tabs chicken, I’m soooo calling her- if I’m awake she can be awake”
lol
so I call and she says it's ok to call animal control...
so I do- their super nice
its actually a cop who comes out, who had previously been on animal control…. he has a look'
and then he's like.. yup that’s a raccoon… so… we talk for a second
….then the cop like... sighs
and pulls out his gun …..and starts loading the bullets into the clip
he goes into the cage
he shoots the raccoon
(he had to move the small coop first though)
he doesn't kill it - it's bleeding
and the cop is like- we'll let it bleed to death (thinking it was going to die quickly)
and the raccoon wanders around a little bit.. like coughing up blood and stuff
and once it settles down the cop shoots it a second time - in the head (it dies)
then I went and got some garbage bags
and the cop put it in the bags and it's in our garbage
so...

the saddest part of this story is that
once we saw the raccoon up close it was obvious that the raccoon was very diseased
so...
I don't think it'll be safe to eat the eggs anymore
at all- not a good idea

ALL THE CHICKENS LIVED!!!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

You are a HERO! I will call you ChickenLover!

Unknown said...

Debbie it is your long lost younger brother........you know the black sheep. Mom had said that you had a blog and I had to look for my self. I would like to just applaud you in protecting the chickens. Look forward to seeing you when you come up. David

PS: this does not mean I am getting a face book.

My Blog List