Saturday, September 13, 2014

Image Issues

I have a thought that doesn't have to do with Jamberry (shocking, I know). I was talking to a friend about being Curvy vs. Skinny. Now regardless of anything else, you should love the body you have. There are somethings that you will never change, such as being big boned or having narrow shoulders. No amount of dieting or plastic surgery is going to change that...unless you look into the several illegal surgeries available in certain countries, which I do not suggest.

I have always been a full figured girl, who is tall, big boned and curvaceous. When you look at how to see to life... having been blessed with such a figure, there's different ways you can look at life. Yes, we should all seek to be healthy. But, what is healthy though? There's a current thought method going on that as long as you can do what you want to our of life, you're fine. I would disagree. I am perfectly happy with my size, but know I need to lose weight.


My relationship with weight has been pretty weird because I on one hand have a full and healthy amount of self esteem about myself. On the other, I know I'm on a bad path and need to lose weight. When I do lose weight, I typically will also start to struggle with my self esteem. I miss my curves terribly, especially my butt. I mean, who likes a flat butt white girl? We're not exactly flaunted as being icons of beauty.

Now, the full figured white girl has been getting quite a bit of press recently. Look at Christina Hendricks or Meghan Trainor (see video #1). I always wish that when filling out questionnaires there was a option of body type for "full figured like Christina Hendricks".   Yes, I know she doesn't like that term, but she can deal with it. Her figure is getting her a lot of press and fame. 'EMBRACE your awesomeness', I would tell her, if I ever spoke to her.. and if it wasn't creepy or inappropriate to tell that to someones face.


Going back to the conversation I had with my friend... one of the main things that we had spoken about was the fact that what weight you should carry should be related to who YOU are. Some people do not look good skinny. Some people look GREAT thin. It all depends on you. In many ways I'm afraid to lose weight, because a full figured girl is who I am. But, If I don't allow myself to change and grow, then I miss out on the opportunity to know who size 10 me would be (my ideal size). I posted the second video because while it's the same song... it's so different. Its still AMAZING, but in it's own way. If ART can grow and change and still retain its awesomeness, I guess I can as well. If I can grow and change, so can everyone else as well. Who is hiding inside you? Perhaps they're not hiding under a layer of fat, maybe it's something more sneaky like depression. If you don't let them out, how will you ever meet YOU?




1 comment:

Diwakar said...

Hello Deborah Athay. so good to know you through your profile on the blogger and I am aso glad to stop by your blog post. Though I may not comment on your blog post but it gives me an opportunity to share about the project our church in Mumbai has for the young people as well as adults from the West. We reach out to the poorest of poor from the slums of Mumbai with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. I am in the Pastoral ministry for last 35yrs in the great city of Mumbai, India a city with great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We also encourage young people as well as adults from the West to come to MUMBAI on a short/ long term m issions tirp to work with us during their summer / christmas vacation. We would love to have you come with your friends to work with us. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede

My Blog List