Thursday, January 20, 2011

Homemade Dirty Rice

So... I'm making homemade Dirty Rice. I made it the other day and LOVE it. It isn't the first time I've made it either. But it is the first time I've made it from scratch (usually use a box). I've posted the original recipe below, and below that I'll note the changes I made... enjoy!!

Dirty Rice

Things You'll Need:

2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp ground red pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
(mix all)

1/2 lb pork sausage (mild or hot, whichever you prefer)
2 tbsp chicken fat or vegetable oil
2 bay leaves
1/2 c. chopped onions
1/2 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. chopped green bell peppers
2 tsp. minced garlic or 2 minced garlic cloves
2 tbsp melted butter
2 c. chicken stock
3/4 c. white rice

In a large skillet combine the ground beef, pork sausage, chicken fat, and bay leaves. Cook on high heat until the meat is browned, making sure to stir occasionally.

Once meat is thoroughly browned, add seasonings and stir. Bring to a boil, then add the onions, bell peppers, garlic, and celery. Stir in melted butter.


Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 6 minutes while constantly stirring. Stir in the chicken stock then cook for 8 minutes on high heBoldat. Stir in rice. Cover and reduce heat to lowest heat setting, cook for 10 mins. Remove from heat and keep covered 5 mins. or until rice is tender.


MY CHANGES:

Brown rice instead of white
1/2 can chopped tomatoes (no salt) (Drained of juices)
1/2 can organic black beans (drained of juices)
1/2 link of polish sausage (the kind you can find in any store??)

I started cooking before I found the recipe... so yeah. Made it kinda haphazard. I browned the sausage (Chop into bite size pieces) in a sterling pan- with no fat added at that point (its sausage.. it has enough natural fat to it). Then I set the rice to cook in a rice cooker (I made 2 cups of brown rice). I mixed the seasonings and made the 2 cups broth- and added that to the pan, then I added the rice and tomatoes. I set the heat to low and ignored it for a while.

Knowing that I would have too much water to rice... I pre-drained the pan- But SAVED the water. I added in the rice and poured in just as much water as I needed. Actually, I'm tying this up as the rice is cooking so I don't know how well this step will take. Ha.

I plan to eat this with a dollop of sour cream and corn chips. :)



Read more: How to Make Homemade Dirty Rice | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5298045_make-homemade-dirty-rice.html#ixzz1BcvYXzjt

No comments:

My Blog List